Sep 25, 2011

Roast Duck with Orange Balsamic Glaze

Before you applaud on how brave I am and how much time I have on my hands to even attempt to roast a duck, hold up a second. Do you think I really knew what I was getting myself into? FOUR hours of slow roasting and oil draining and basting? And then to adjust the temperature of the oven and then baste it again with the glaze? Like, pretty purrrrrlease. How much attention do you want? Just so you know, I, and I only, am the queen around here. Back off and relax, or else you are never coming into my house ever again.

Someone is in a bitchy mood today.

I mean, the duck turned out good. The skin was crispy, the meat was tender,  and the orange glaze was perfect. But would I do this again? Eehhhh... not so sure. I love duck, but after 4 hours of cooking, it still needed a good glaze/ sauce to balance out the gamey flavor of the meat (hello high maintenance!) Personally, it wasn't really worth the time. Next time, I would maybe cut the duck into pieces and cook the parts separately to get faster and hopefully better results. But you never know until you try, right?



Roast Duck with Orange Balsamic Glaze

For the glaze:
1 1/2 tbsp honey
1 1/2 tbsp molasses
3 tbsp orange juice
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Orange zest
1/4 tsp ground coriander
Salt and pepper

For instructions on roasting a duck, go to The Hungry Mouse. They have a really detailed and helpful post on how to get it done, along with tons of pictures to help guide you along the way.

In a small saucepan, combine all the glaze ingredients and let boil for a few minutes until sauce has thickened a little bit. Set aside until the last 10 minutes of roasting.

Before the final 10 mins to roast the duck at 400 degrees, take the duck out of the oven and brush all over with the glaze. Roast until golden brown. Use the remaining glaze as a sauce later.


No comments:

Post a Comment