Mar 24, 2012

Roasted Chicken with Mango Chutney

So how exciting is it that the weather is finally getting warm? That I can finally wear flip flops and dresses? 


That I don't have to run on the treadmill like a hamster anymore (at least for a few months), because the beach is 2 minutes away from my apartment? 

And that I can try to grow herbs at home? 


It's true, I have never kept any plants alive. Ever. And I have like, no space to grow anything. 


Ok, I cheated (just a little bit). The basil was from Trader Joes. But I managed to get a rosemary seed and a few cilantro seeds to sprout! 

(rosemary)

(cilantro)

And if these guys behave the way they should, I will have 4 of my favorite herbs at home in a few months!! You have no idea how excited I am. 

I will keep you guys updated on the plants... hehe :)

Anyway, I roasted some chicken last night. But this time I decided to make a little mango chutney sauce to go with it. The sweet and sour chutney was a perfect compliment to the spicy chicken. I served it with my favorite whole wheat couscous and a salad on the side. Happy cooking! 


Roasted Chicken with Mango Chutney  
Inspired by Simply Recipes

For roasted chicken: 
6 pieces of skin-on chicken thighs 
1 tsp paprika 
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder 
2 tsp kosher salt
Ground black pepper 

For mango chutney:
1 1/2 cup frozen mango chunks, thawed
Olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely grated
Scant pinch of red pepper flakes
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp mustard seeds (I didn't use)
2 tbsp chopped rasins (I didn't use)
1/2 cup water
Salt to taste

1. Preheat oven to 385F. 
2. Rinse and pat dry chicken pieces. Mix all the spices and coat the chicken pieces with the spices. Try to cover the area under the skin as well. 
3. Roast chicken for 35 minutes or until juices run clear.
4. In the meantime, heat a splash of olive oil on a saute pan on medium heat. Add onions and saute until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Then add the rest of the ingredients, bring the mixture to a boil and cover the pan. Simmer in low heat for about 30 minutes. The chutney should be ready around the same time when the chicken is done. 

Optional: To prepare couscous, add 1 cup of water to 1 cup of dry couscous and a splash of olive oil. Cover for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and add herbs of your choice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment