"This curry is made of coconut milk which is fa------(nom nom nom)------------------"
"The curry paste in a can has a million chemic----------(yummmm)--------"
"This white rice is going to make me feel sic----------(okay the sauce is incredible on rice)"
You know how it is. But seriously. Learn how to make this dish at home and you will never order curry at a restaurant again. It's so easy and delicious, there's really no way you can fuck it up.
Now I can't guarantee that this recipe is authentic at all. I mean, I don't think Thai people actually cook with Trader Joe's Light Coconut Milk, frozen edamame, or boneless chicken breast. In fact, this dish is probably the Thai equivalent of General Tso's chicken. But that's ok, right? Its still pretty delicious! I promise.
Thai Red Curry with Chicken
Makes 2-3 servings
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced about 1cm thick
1/4 cup of flour
3 cloves of garlic
A few slices of fresh ginger
1/2 onion, sliced
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 can Thai curry paste (red curry used here, but you can substitute with other types)
1 can light coconut milk
A few dried chili peppers (optional)
1 cup frozen shelled edamame (you can also use bak choy or broccoli)
Handful of cilantro, washed and roughly chopped
Splash of olive oil
1. Slice chicken breast. Spread flour onto a plate and dip chicken slices into the flour. Make sure all sides are covered. Set aside.
2. Bring a skillet to medium heat. Fry chicken slices until light brown on both sides. Set aside.
3. Add a splash of olive oil, garlic, ginger and onion to skillet for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
4. Add carrots and curry paste to the skillet. Mix all the ingredients.
5. Add coconut milk (and dried chili peppers, if using) to skillet and let simmer for 5-10 minutes, so that all the flavors can develop.
6. In the last few minutes of cooking, add edamame or other vegetables.
7. If the sauce is too thin, use a slotted spoon to get all the meat and vegetables into the serving bowl, turn the stove on high and let the sauce cook down for a few minutes.
8. Serve with rice immediately.