Jul 12, 2011

Chipotle burgers with Smoky Garlic Ketchup

Do you read DIY blogs, cookbooks or watch one of the following channels: Food Network, TLC, HGTV? Do you ever feel that they make it look SO easy and effortless to revamp your old coffee table, whip up a healthy 4-course meal in less than 1 hour, or create your own cute little coffee table for less than $100? Have you ever started undertaking one of those projects, until the small little things keep going wrong until there's no point of return, so you were stuck in the obvious fuck up but had no idea how to fix it? 

Well, I read about 70 cooking/ home decor blogs on a daily basis (thanks to Google Reader), read all the magazines in the Barnes and Noble "Home decor" and "Food/ Wine" section every month, AND watch all the above-mentioned channels. So you can see why I might be a little delusional about my DIY skills. Two weeks ago, I stepped into Home Depot for the first time of my life thinking I could spray paint one of the white little coffee tables from Ikea into a gorgeous dark grey color and then trim it with metal push pins to create that luxurious look that is all over home decor magazines these days. After 15 minutes trying to select a color, guess what happened. I almost spray painted my face and successfully spray painted my whole finger. So that's where the story about revamping a coffee table ended. 

A week later, I decided I can freestyle a burger recipe for a grill out. So there I went, onions, salt, pepper, grilling mix....... eggs and breadcrumbs. Needless to say, the burgers turned out like meatballs and it disappointed every person at the grill out. I was quite ashamed but determined to redeem myself. 

This recipe from Rachel Ray turned out to be killer and of course, the jalapenos/ blue cheese toppings combo never fail. I like my food spicy and flavorful, so I used more chipotle than the original recipe. But I will never freestyle anything ever again, and let's see how long it will take me to step into Home Depot again! Haha!

Ketchup not shown in this picture... but it was delicious!

Chipotle burgers (adapted from Rachel Ray for Food Network)

Makes 6 big patties

Burger
2 pounds ground beef
1 medium onion, peeled and cut in 1/2
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 chipotles in adobo and 2 tablespoons of adobo sauce
2 tablespoons grill seasoning (I used Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick
Splash of spicy sesame oil

Toppings
Canned sliced Jalapenos
Blue cheese

Smoky Tomato Sauce (optional, but really delicious! Leftovers can be used as salsa)
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 (15-ounce) can crushed fire roasted tomatoes, about 2 cups
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoon adobo sauce
2 chipotle peppers
Pinch of dried oregano
Salt and pepper


1. Place the meat in a bowl. Cut the onion in half and into fine pieces or grate using a food processor. Add to the bowl of meat.
2. Add Worcestershire, chipotles, adobo sauce and grill seasoning to burgers. Drizzle a little spicy sesame oil over the bowl and mix meat. 
3. Grill meat 2 to 3 minutes on each side and top with jalapenos and cheese.

Optional tomato sauce
1. Heat a small sauce pot over medium heat. 
2. Add extra-virgin olive oil and garlic, cook garlic 2 to 3 mins
3. Add sugar and vinegar, cook 2 mins 
4. Add tomatoes. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, and dried oregano. Allow it to reduce 8-10 mins on low heat.



No comments:

Post a Comment