Jul 13, 2011

Freestyle cooking

I love cooking, but I don't cook everything well. Case in point:

Way too blackened Tilapia. 

Truth of the matter is, I am a kitchen newbie. I developed my interest in cooking because I loved food and dessert, and sometimes restaurant food just didn't feel right. Too salty, too much MSG, too pretentious, too suspicious (what is that gooey yellow thing made of? lard? shortening?), too long of a wait, or just way too expensive. I remember the tipping point came when I was at a Mexican restaurant with a friend, who zealously ordered a $15 "made at your table guacamole" which literally consisted of avocados, cilantro, salt, pepper, and a little bit of red onions. Or a little glass of patron margarita for $12. I CAN MAKE THAT SHIT MYSELF!

I am lucky to be with someone who is as passionate about food as I am. We love eating everything and everywhere. We both like to spend time in the kitchen and whip up a delicious meal, but that sometimes turn into kitchen rivalries. Last night, I was pleasantly surprised with a delicious 4-course meal, complete with egg drop soup, fried rice, curry crab and ginger/garlic vegetables.

Master chef likes to serve his dishes rustic style... 

....in stainless steel bowls with minimal to no presentation. 

When his freestyle cooking mildly backfired- too much egg in a egg drop soup!

But I'm not complaining, because it was sooooo delicious that I didn't feel like eating dessert afterwards. Now that's quite an achievement on his part! It was soooo delicious that I was still craving for more this morning... and as usual, we had enough leftovers for another meal. It was equally if not more delicious!


Unfortunately, I don't have recipes for any of it because the self proclaimed Master doesn't follow recipes. He's just really naturally good at everything he does and he's just too good for recipes. Sorry guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment