This recipe is inspired by a dish I had in a fancy Mexican restaurant in NYC a few years ago. It is super easy to make and jam packed with protein and complex carbs. That should fuel your weekend activities and keep you full for a long time! And the best thing about this recipe is, it only takes 15 mins to make! I used cherry tomatoes because they are less watery than normal tomatoes. I also used Parmesan cheese here, but ideally you should use non-aged cheddar cheese so it melts nicely into the eggs.
Spicy Brunch Burritos
Makes 1 burrito
Ingredients (measurements are approximate)
1 whole wheat tortilla1/4 medium sized red onion, sliced
1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, diced to resemble salsa
2 cloves of garlic, diced
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup of Cheddar cheese (I used Parmesan cheese but Cheddar is ideal)
1 tsp Oregano
Green chili peppers, optional
Cayenne pepper to taste
Dash of olive oil
1. Heat pan on medium-low. Warm tortilla on pan until slightly charred on both sides. Transfer tortilla on serving plate.
2. Grease pan with dash of olive oil. Saute onions for 3 mins, remember to add a bit of salt for the onions to sweat.
3. In the meantime, prepare garlic, tomatoes and green chili peppers. Shave or shed the cheese if necessary. Also, beat up the eggs in a bowl.
4. Add garlic and tomatoes to onions, saute for another minute. Add oregano. Transfer to one side of the tortilla.
5. Add eggs to the pan and scramble. Add cayenne pepper, transfer to the other side of tortilla. Top with cheese and serve immediately.