Aug 26, 2011

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Pancakes

This morning, while Miss Hurricane Irene was preparing to visit the east coast, I was making pancakes in the kitchen. I know, I should be stocking up on food and doing all these precautionary things, but I really didn't feel like it. All I knew was that I needed to go to the gym, and in order to do that, I needed breakfast. So I whipped out my favorite recipe and made these in 15 mins.

I like this recipe because it only uses whole wheat flour, not a mix of whole wheat and white. But of course, what good would the pancakes be if they didn't have anything to balance the healthiness of the whole wheat flour? That's right, they needed the chocolate chips. There was no other option. Plus, I used dark chocolate, which is good for you anyway. No guilt at all.


Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Adapted from allrecipes.com

Makes about 6 medium sized pancakes

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk (I used 1 tbsp of vinegar + milk to make 1 cup of buttermilk)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
Handful of chocolate chips.

1. In a large bowl, sift the flour and mix with baking powder, salt and sugar. 
2. In a separate bowl, beat egg and buttermilk together.
3. Add the egg and buttermilk mixture to the bowl with flour. Add chocolate chips. Stir until just combined. 
4. Take 1/4 cup of batter and pour into hot pan. Cook until bubbly, then flip over and cook until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment